Legal Question in Family Law in Kentucky

There is no custody order, only child support. My sons mother lives in New York, I live in Kentucky, My son came to visit me for the first time in 14 yrs. He wants to move in with me, the mother is not happy, and wants to go to court, but is allowing him to move in with me. I am enrolling him into my local school system tomorrow. The mother is telling our son she will be moving to AZ in January and he has to get all of his stuff as if this is a final move for him. She was pushing court hard, but has slacked when I reminded her we both have no custody order of him. He is 16 1/2. She lives on welfare I am retired disabled Army. I have better income to care for him. My question is can I go to court here in Kentucky to get custody or do I have to go to New York?( reason behind me not seeing my son for 14 years is I was active Army, and I was in a motorcycle accident which took a long time to recover)

Asked on 8/18/13, 6:43 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Debbie Davis Debbie Davis PSC

You need to make an appointment to speak to an attorney. There should be a custody order in place. If you are both in agreement then an agreed order can be entered into, but you will need an attorney to advise you and file the necessary paperwork.

Read more
Answered on 8/19/13, 7:29 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kentucky