Legal Question in Family Law in Kentucky

domestic violence/newborn

I ave been with a man for two years who has been physically abusive towards me at least four or five major times. While I was pregnant he held a knife to my stomach and threatened to cut my guts out and choked me. He choked me on more than one occasion during my pregnancy. He has a felony charge against him for possession of marijuana and has been to jail several other times for drugs and warrants I put out on him for domestic violence. His name is not even on the baby's birht certificate. I am tired of his controlling nature and abusive ways. I want to go for full custody of my child. What would be the best way to go about this legally? And could I file for custody through the state intead of the county?

Asked on 1/27/08, 12:08 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rene Heinrich The Heinrich Firm

Re: domestic violence/newborn

Good for you for taking the first step towards getting away from an abuser. Custody would be filed either in your local family court, or if you don't have one, the circuit court. i would recommend seeing if you have a women's crisis center/shelter who can offer you help.

Read more
Answered on 1/27/08, 4:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kentucky