Legal Question in Family Law in Kentucky

I live in the state of Kentucky. If I get married do I have to pay child support on my husbands other children? He owes back child support.

Asked on 7/07/15, 10:20 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Morrin Morrin Law Office

No, the duty to pay child support belongs to the legal parent only. Whereas you would become a step-parent, no such obligation will attach to you. However, income he earns will still be subject to the child support payments.

I hope this has helped and I wish you all the best!

Read more
Answered on 7/07/15, 10:23 am
Bryan Gowin Bryan Gowin Attorney at Law

No, however, if you and your future husband open a joint banking account it is possible the back child support could be garnished from that bank account. You would have to prove what monies were yours as opposed to his in that account.

Read more
Answered on 7/07/15, 11:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kentucky