Legal Question in Employment Law in Kentucky

I was let go from my job and my boss won't issue my paycheck. He has been doing alot of illegal activity at his business including paying people under the table that are on government assistance such as disability. What should I do?

Asked on 2/07/14, 9:19 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Morrin Morrin Law Office

Hello and thank you for choosing LawGuru! I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you, however, the good news is that it appears the law is on your side in this instance (assuming there is no justified reason for the nonpayment).

From the facts you have provided, your former boss is likely in direct violation of KRS 337.055, which states:

"Any employee who leaves or is discharged from his employment shall be paid in full all wages or salary earned by him; not later than the next normal pay period following the date of dismissal or voluntary leaving or fourteen (14) days following such date of dismissal or voluntary leaving whichever last occurs. Any employee who is absent at the time fixed for payment by an employer, or who, for any other reason, is not paid at that time, shall be paid thereafter at any time or upon fourteen (14) days' demand. No employer shall, by any means, secure exemption from this section."

You should mention this statute to your former boss to encourage payment without further action. If he/she still won't pay you then file a complaint with the Kentucky Labor Cabinet. You may do so online using the following link:

There is likely not enough money in dispute to justify retaining an attorney but the Labor Cabinet should help you. If you have any other questions feel welcome to submit a "Paid Question" to me or email me at [email protected]

I hope this has helped and I wish you all the best.

Read more
Answered on 2/07/14, 1:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Kentucky