Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Kentucky

Hello, first, thank you for your help ahead of time. I, live in a dormitory in the state of Kentucky for a very large private school organization. We have recently found there is a very large quantity of of black mold growing inside the dormitory living environment, as well as a bed-bug infestation. Is there any legal action we as residents cant take against the system?

Asked on 8/23/14, 10:20 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas McAdam Thomas A. McAdam, III, Attorney

Typically, if you have a contractual relationship with the school, in which you pay money for residential facilities, you are legally a tenant, and the school is your landlord. You can take administrative action against the school by reporting the unsanitary conditions to Louisville's Department of Permits, Inspections, and Licenses. That agency is charged with enforcing the residential housing code. You can also report any mold or infestation to the Jefferson County Department of Health and Wellness. Additionally, you can--either individually or as a group--file a civil lawsuit against the school for breach of contract and damages.

Thomas A. McAdam

Attorney at Law

[email protected]

(502) 584-7255

Read more
Answered on 8/23/14, 12:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Kentucky