Legal Question in Personal Injury in Kentucky

I was just involved in a car accident. The offending vehicle turn into the intersection where it was supposed to yield on green. I was not able to brake on time and hit it. The police who came on the scene later took statements. No one was charge. On the traffic report it say a witness saw something. And it was concluded by the police I was at fault it seems. Again no investigation or citation. Just a witness account. I think that is not fair because I know I had the green. What can I do?

Asked on 8/30/16, 7:36 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Morrin Morrin Law Office

One thing you should do is report the wreck to your insurance company if you haven't already; you will need a claim number from them so you can have medical care providers bill your insurance company directly. Don't provide any recorded statements to the other driver's insurance company or attorney. If you have been injured, feeling it immediately after the wreck or becoming sore within a week or so of the wreck, then it is very important you see a physician and possibly a specialist depending on what your physician recommends. Keep any pictures of the scene of the car accident including pictures of injuries or pictures of the damage to the car or truck.

In reviewing the police report, the officer will usually describe "Unit 1" as the vehicle he/she believes to be at fault. If you are described as "Unit 2" then you should still have an attorney review your case. Believe it or not, officers don't always get it right.

Kentucky is a no-fault state which means the first $10,000 of medical bills or lost work wages will be covered by your insurance provider. Motorcyclists must elect to purchase this coverage known as Personal Injury Protection (PIP) or Basic Reparation Benefits (BRB) whereas the coverage is mandatory for automobiles such as cars and trucks.

You should certainly speak with an attorney experienced in car wrecks, such as the Morrin Law Office. Generally speaking, an attorney may be able to increase your recovery by 350%. My office offers free case evaluations to determine if retaining our services can put more money in your pocket than going it alone. If you were not at fault, by our determination, then we offer representation based on a contingent fee--if you don't recover then you owe us nothing.

If you have any other questions then please feel welcome to call our office at 859-358-0300 or email us at [email protected]

I hope this has helped and I wish you all the best.

Read more
Answered on 8/31/16, 10:01 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Kentucky