Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

Child Support

We stopped paying child support when my husband's son reached the age of 18. He is now 21 and we were taken to court last week and told we had to pay arrearages of over $2100.00. All but $970.00 of this is after he reached age 18. He was still in high school but not living with his mother. He lived with friends and his grand parents . Are we liable for the other $1575.00 after he was 18 years old?

Asked on 8/30/04, 9:48 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Andrew Casanave Andrew M. Casanave

Re: Child Support

It depends largely on what is in the support order. Usually in Louisiana child support obligations terminate when the child turns 18 or finishes High School, whichever comes last. It is possible to have a higher obligation.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/04, 10:11 am

Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

Re: Child Support

You owe support until your child turns 18 or finishes high school or at 19 years of age EVEN IF STILL IN HIGH SCHOOL....if he did not live with his mom, you still owed the support since you did not seek to terminate or alter the court order.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/04, 12:16 pm
Pascal Howard Pascal M. Howard, Atty @ LaW

Re: Child Support

As long as he was going to secondary school you have to pay until he reaches 18 and he either finishes high school or quits one or the other. If he going to a trade school that is the equivilent to high school it probably would be the same.

Read more
Answered on 9/08/04, 8:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana