Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana


My exhusband asked if our son could live with me since he was having problems living with his dad. I said fine and he has been with me since. The issue is his dad has not redone the custody papers to reflect nor offered any support. Do I have to fight this issue in court or after so much time living with me could I automatically have custody put in my name?

Asked on 2/01/08, 5:44 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Louque The Louque Law Firm, L.L.C.

Re: Custody

It's not automatic. You either have to bring him to court or get him to sign legal documents to transfer custody to you.

Read more
Answered on 2/01/08, 6:35 pm
David Hesser Law Offices of David C. Hesser

Re: Custody

There is no automatic time period. However, after a few months I would recommend that you file for custody and child support.

Read more
Answered on 2/04/08, 6:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana