Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

i have been divorced for 5yrs, i have 2 children, my ex husband and i have joint custody, i am domicilary parent. my youngest daughter and i were in an automobile accident a year ago and i am now being that her settlement will be issued to her father. WHY?

she has not seen him in over a year, nor has she spoken to him in over 6months, he does pay child support faithfully each month. why does he get the check

Asked on 2/25/10, 10:35 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Louque The Louque Law Firm, L.L.C.

It shouldn't belong to either of you. The proper procedure would be to have a tutor appointed and have the money designated for the benefit of the child somehow.

Read more
Answered on 3/02/10, 11:10 pm

Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

What I believe is you misunderstood. As joint custodians of the child, the check would be made payable to both of you as natural tutors of the child.

Read more
Answered on 3/03/10, 4:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana