Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Louisiana

What I need to do if a personal collector is threatening suit but refuses corres

I had a verbal agreement with a person who loaned my use of a credit card for purchase of appliances. Although the purchase was made by both my ex-husband and myself, when I moved out of state I took those items with me. I was delinquent on the monthly payments for three months. The person called and we set a verbal agreement for payment; again monthly payment. They then begin to call and threaten my household with phone calls stating physical repossesion and suit for theft. I have sent them a letter stating acknowledgment of the debt and partial payment for fifty dollars per money order. What are my legal rights to keep these items and pay my debt in monthly installments without constant harrasment from this person?

Asked on 10/14/03, 8:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Peter Bradie Bradie, Bradie & Bradie

Re: What I need to do if a personal collector is threatening suit but refuses co

1. They can't repossess something that's yours unless you signed a security agreement pledging the goods as collateral.

2. They aren't obligated to accept anything less than the full amount owing.

3. Since they are the creditor, they can nag at you daily, almost as much as they want, so long as they don't threaten you.

4. Criminal charges won't be accepted in a purely civil dispute.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/03, 9:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Louisiana