Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

Is it possible???

My 19 year-old son and his 17 year-old pregnant fiance want to marry. Her parents are divorced. Her mom is custodial parent, and has allowed her daughter to move in with my son, but won't allow them to marry. The dad is OK with them marrying. We researched and found that a girl can marry in Mississippi @ 17 without parental consent, but when we tried to get a license, they told us that we need both of her parents' signature. These kids really want to do the right thing by themselves and their child. They do not want to ''shack-up''. Is it possible anywhere is the U.S.? If so, how?????

Asked on 9/18/02, 11:19 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michele Veade Michele Veade

Re: Is it possible???

It is probably possible in Louisiana with judicial authorization, if the parents of the minor refuse to consent to the marriage. You should see a lawyer about having a motion drawn up, and authorization can be obtained from a judge in the parish where the minor resides, or where the marriage ceremony takes place. The minor must have a "compelling reason." see Childrens Code Art. 1547 et seq.

Read more
Answered on 9/19/02, 3:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana