Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

changing childs last name

i currently have an attorney that handled my divorce, and the father of the child is agreeing to sign over ALL rights and my attorney knows this yet hasnt sent paperwork to him. The same paperwork that we sent repeatedly for over a year, but it never got sent back because he was avoiding the matter. So now that he is willing and asking me when the papers are getting sent to him (in arizona)- i'm having trouble getting them sent from my lawyer. Also he is going to sign whatever paper needed for me to change my daughters last name back to mine and take him off the birth certificate. I'm not quite sure if i should get another lawyer since mine doesn't seem to be available for contact about this matter. PLEASE give me a path to take in the matter.

Asked on 7/31/08, 5:40 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Johm Smith tom's

Re: changing childs last name

You need to send a letter by certified mail to your attorney. Maybe you can also get copies of the paperwork so you can send it to your husband. It sounds like you may have a fee dispute with your attorney.

Read more
Answered on 8/01/08, 7:37 am
Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

Re: changing childs last name

In addition to what Mr. Nance told you, I would suggest you check the law on "getting the father's name off the birth certificate." That cannot be done by just signing papers....or even court order if there is no other man to put on that certificate.

Read more
Answered on 8/01/08, 7:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana