Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

changing son last name?

i am married and want to change my first child from a previous relationship last name from my maiden name to my married name. The bio-dad is not in the picture and the child doesn't have his name or doesn't know him--he only knows my husband--i'm in louisiana--so what or how can i do this?

Asked on 12/13/07, 2:35 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

Re: changing son last name?

You need to file a Petition for Name Change. If the bio dad will not agree to the change, then looking at the facts you presented, under LSA R.S. 13:4651 his consent is probably not needed but you still have to file. I would suggest you do an intrafamily adoption so that your husband becomes the baby's real father on the birth certificate. In that proceeding you can have the bio dad's rights terminated for the same reasons that you have for the name change. That would be more permanent and the child becomes a full member of the family.

Read more
Answered on 12/14/07, 7:36 am
Robert Louque The Louque Law Firm, L.L.C.

Re: changing son last name?

Is your current husband willing to adopt?

Read more
Answered on 12/13/07, 5:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana