Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

child support and paternity testing

I wanted to know if it is possible to put my childs fathers name on the birth certificate without my son taking his last name and get a dna test to prove to this man that he IS the father and would it be possible to get child support from him even though he is in jail...

Asked on 4/02/08, 11:26 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

Re: child support and paternity testing

First of all, why would you want a criminal on the birth certificate? With that said, you can file a petition to prove paternity and have the DNA test done. If he is the father, then his name can be placed on the birth certificate, but I have a feeling the State vital statistics will want to give the child his last name. You should check with them. You can also get a judgment for child support, based on his actual income, or minimum wage, whichever is larger.

Read more
Answered on 4/02/08, 11:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana