Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

common law mariage divorce

Though never married, I purchased a house and contents and shared a life with L for over ten years. Now he doesn't want to ''be in a relationship''. He says he will leave me the house and contents but he's still here. I can't move out with three dogs and have been paying all expenses at home for over 2yrs. I want him to leave but he says he doesn't have the money. He started a business 2yrs ago with a home equity loan of about $25K. When we first got together he had $20-40k inheritance which he put into the purchase and remodel of the house. What are my rights? Can I keep the house since I'm paying for it. Must we sell to pay each other off since neither has savings? We have almost as much debt as equity. How do I get started?

Asked on 10/05/02, 1:57 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Casanave Andrew M. Casanave

Re: common law mariage divorce

You must give more information.

If your name is the only one on the deed, then the property is yours, but you have a debt to L of the money he provided for the purchase and repair. If both names are on the deed, then you are co-owners (basically business partners). If so you must either agree to some sort of buy out, sell the house and divide the money, or go to court to partition the assets and liabilities of the partnership.

Read more
Answered on 10/07/02, 6:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana