Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

Father's Rights to Child

My son wants to take care of his child and provide for her, but can not make a home with the mother due to the violent nature she has. what rights does he have to be able to visit with the baby and be in on the decisions made concerning the baby? He also would like to set up child support now instead of waiting for a judge to make an order. Is this something he can do and is there someone in LA. he could talk to about this? He has a job but does not make a whole lot of money. Thank you.

Asked on 10/05/06, 12:01 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

James Grissom Law Office of James P. Grissom

Re: Father's Rights to Child

If he is getting a divorce, he will not be there for much of the time for the child. I don't know what LA law is on this subject, but most states are similar. The court order can provide that he has the rights of a parent when the child is in his possession. I doubt that the court would allow him to be consulted on every decision of the child's upbringing. He can pay an amount of support while he is waiting for an order. He should keep Money Order receipts and pay this directly to the mother. There are hundreds of lawyers in LA who can answer specific LA legal questions. Call several and see who can do the job.

Read more
Answered on 10/05/06, 12:30 pm

Andrew Casanave Andrew M. Casanave

Re: Father's Rights to Child

If he can work out an agreement with the mother a lawyer can draft a court order enforcing that agreement. This is far less expensive than litigating the issues.

If not he will have to take her to court. If he cannot afford a lawyer (and some might work with him on the fee) he can contact the local Legal Services Bureau (sometimes called Legal Aid).

I agree with Mr. Grissom that any support payments should be by check or money order and he should keep copies of every payment to her.

Read more
Answered on 10/05/06, 2:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana