Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

Do you have a form for common law relationships that want to be "divorced?" We lived together for two years in my apartment. I asked him to move out but he refuses. Louisiana is a common law state and I was told to get a form to divorce him from a common law situation.

Asked on 2/08/10, 10:12 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Andrew Casanave Andrew M. Casanave

Louisiana is not a common law state. If all of your time living together was in Louisiana then no marriage resulted from that circumstance.

Are you the sole renter on the lease? If so, you might be able to evict him.

Read more
Answered on 2/14/10, 8:06 am
Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

Mr. Casanave is correct. There is NO common law marriage in Louisiana. When you said the apartment is yours, I assume you mean you are the only one who sign the lease. You can evict him.

Read more
Answered on 2/14/10, 3:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana