Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

If my judgment settlements for divorce were done in Lafayette Parish, but I move to another parish or out of state, can the proceedings for any legal action be done in the parish I move to, or do all proceedings still have to be done in the original issuing parish? Also, what ends a consent judgment for permanent spousal support in LA (is it still cohabitation as though a marriage, or death of either spouse? In addition, is it possible to legally argue for continuation of permanent spousal support (not by consent of the payor spouse) from his estate if he should become deceased? Thank you, Lee

Asked on 5/08/13, 9:48 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

A consent judgment for permanent spousal support ends when the Judgment says it ends. Spousal support ordinarily ends when the Judgment says it ends, or with re-marriage or if you have a live-in concubine. Since I cannot see the Judgment, it may be that it is payable no matter if you remarry or cohabitate. Since the Judgment does not mention that it continues after the payor's death, then it is not payable after death. In some instances, there is a provision for the payment of a lump sum upon the death of the payor. A judgment of this State can be made a Judgment of any other state by following procedures for that state. If the payor is in the parish where you obtained your judgment, you have go back to that Parish to alter the Judgment.

Read more
Answered on 5/09/13, 3:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana