Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

Obtaining Sole Custody once Joint Custody awarded

I was awarded joint custody of my daughter in Oct. 2000. My ex-husband owes Child Support for November 2001 through current, which he is suppose to pay $411.00 per month. I know of him drinking while having her in his custody and also driving with her while he had been drinking. He leaves messages on my phone at home/work and on my bosses phone, making threats, saying that she is not his daughter that I convinced him not to go to court the day custody and child support was set and just being completely stupid. My question is can I get sole custody of my daughter and is there something I could file myself, which would be cheaper than finding a attorney.

He doesn't see her on a consistant basis and when he does it's usually just for about 4 hours for one day. He may see her about 4-5 times a month. Please advise if there is a form that I could do and file with the courts on my own behalf. Thank you for your consideration in my request. Thank you Denise

Asked on 10/08/02, 4:57 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Casanave Andrew M. Casanave

Re: Obtaining Sole Custody once Joint Custody awarded

There are many things that you can do without a lawyer. I reccomend against filing papers in court or litigating without one. The lawyer who will have to undo your mistakes is more expensive than the one who will do this right.

Shop around. Ask your friends for reccomendations. Read the answers of lawyers on this forum and see if you like one. Do not represent yourself.

Read more
Answered on 10/08/02, 6:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana