Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

Rental Reimbursement

My husband walked out 6 months ago and left me to pay the full mortgage on the house. The mortgage is in his name alone, I am not on the loan, although I do half interest in the property for community property purposes. I can no longer afford to pay the house note on my own, so we put the house on the market and I moved into a smaller rental home with our children. My husband is mad about the whole situation and has stopped paying his child support payments (I have gone to the DA who enforces child support in our area and have gotten that process started). And now he is coming back and saying that I will owe him for rental reimbursement on the house, his attorney told him so. How does he figure that if I've been paying the full $1500 each month and he's paid nothing, that I will owe HIM an additional $750 for all of those months?

Asked on 4/04/08, 11:59 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Johm Smith tom's

Re: Rental Reimbursement

What he isn't saying is that you don't have to pay rent to live in a home you partially own. Don't expect him to be honest with you and get an attorney to deal with his, ASAP.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/08, 12:15 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana