Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

School Truancy

My son's mother was granted custody of him last december, since then he's been staying with different relatives. She will allow him to ''live'' with anyone else beside's me SOLELY BECAUSE OF THE AMOUNT OF CHILD SUPPORT I'M PAYING HER. She has committed herself in a pshyc ward and my son has been moving around ever since. She checked herself out and told my son to go and visit her sometime.

School started on last Friday, she has not registered him into any school as of yet. My oldest says she's talking of suicide. My question is what are my rights as a father? I've spoken with the high school principal and am waiting for a call from the local school board officials.I've gone to the d.a and the whole nine yards for sole custody, my son decided to remain with his mother, he realizes he's made a wrong decision, I can't enroll him into any school because I'm not the custodial parent, what do I do next? My son need to be in school.

Asked on 8/14/06, 8:24 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Steve LeBlanc Steve LeBlanc, Ltd., (APLC)

Re: School Truancy

You need to consult with an attorney to file a rule to change custody.

Read more
Answered on 8/14/06, 9:59 pm

Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

Re: School Truancy

If you had joint custody, you could enroll him. However, I would suggest an attempt at an ex parte change in custody because of the urgency of the matter. Get an attorney immediately.

Read more
Answered on 8/15/06, 7:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana