Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

I want to keep my son.

Although, I have only been married since September 22,2001. I have been with my wife for a year and a half. She had a baby before we met but he was only a little over a year old. We have had some rough times but I thought it was a forever marraige. One thing that has never changed is that I love my son! Since he could talk I have been ''Daddy''. My wife has a habit of asking others to take care of him. Well, I just found out a few days ago, that she had sex with a low life druggie (no, she wasn't doing drugs). She says she don't know if she will or won't again. If we part, do I have a right to keep my son?

Asked on 1/05/02, 3:52 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

Re: I want to keep my son.

The child is not your son if you are not the natural father or you have not adopted him. In reality, you have no rights whatsoever to him. If you split, the only way you could even get visitation rights is IF you can convince the judge that it is absolutely in the child's best interest for him to visit with you. I suggest you adopt him.

Read more
Answered on 1/05/02, 7:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana