Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

Terminate my Parental Rights and/or Emancipate?

My children and I have endured a 10 year battle to basically have the right to have a relationship. Due process is nonexistant-latest events afforded me a 1 day notice of hearing(which was over by the time I received an uncertified letter)and terminated all contact with my children-accusations were made using unsubstantiated evidence(what Rules of Evidence?)...and it gets worse. Can I terminate my Parental Rights and/or Emancipate myself from my children? This time, it has been 7 months since I have been able to speak or see my children nor any of the maternal family. This ''game'' of holding the children for ransom(sometimes $50,000 will make me the perfect mother, othertimes, it's another sum)is repeated behavior and is not in their best interests. Evidently,our children cannot be shared, so I believe one of us must remove ourselves from this situation to somehow restore some semblence of sanity to their lives. This is truly the hardest decision I have ever had to make, but I believe that once the money factor is taken out of the equation(he pulls this whenever he hears I am''coming into money''), the children and I might have a chance at a relationship without all the termoil. Any options and/or suggestions are much appreciated.

Asked on 9/18/02, 10:23 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Steve LeBlanc Steve LeBlanc, Ltd., (APLC)

Re: Terminate my Parental Rights and/or Emancipate?

Terminating parental rights takes place in adoption cases. Under our law, there are certain circumstances when a parent loses all rights to contest an adoption, usually by a step-parent. The most commonly used exception is failure to pay child support for a year when ordered to do so by a court judgment. The situation you describe doesn't sound right. Did you have an attorney? If not you need to consult one.

Read more
Answered on 9/18/02, 11:01 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana