Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

I am a veteran who has recently left the army. I had married the mother of my son( as determined by a paternity test) but after 4 mos. And running up my credit accounts Ifound out that she wanted a divorce. I had bought her a vehicle, while she finished her schooling to become a medical coder. The vehicle is in my name. She is working now as a medical coder. I have been told that I cannot get her to pay for the rest of the vehicle, that I have to just give it to her or else it makes me look like I am removing her way to make a living and that could be used against me if ever I want custody, or it might affect my visitation rights. I am going through TDCJ training to become a prison guard, and right now I don't even have enough money to go over to visit my son who lives with the mother in Louisiana because of all of her bills and the child support that I am paying. I feel like I have no rights, and don't know what to do.

Asked on 2/20/17, 10:42 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Casanave Andrew M. Casanave

Ask your base JAG officer to refer you to a Louisiana lawyer, preferably near where mom is living with your son. Custody, support and visitation should be resolvable. Get that lawyer's advice about the car.

Read more
Answered on 2/20/17, 10:54 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana