Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Louisiana

I paid a boat mechanic back in January to put a new motor in my boat. He quoted me a price for the total job, but wanted the parts and engine paid up front. I paid him the money and now 6 months later i still have no boat. He keeps telling me excuses why its not fixed. He also does not even have the motor in his shop, he keep telling me all he has to do is tell them to ship it when he is ready. At this point all i want is my boat and the money. What legal right do i have at this point, if he refuses to give me my money back?

Asked on 6/04/14, 3:18 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Adam Lambert The Law Office of Adam S. Lambert

You can file a small claims suit with the local city court or justice of the peace court having jurisdiction over the shop. They handle cases up to $5,000.00 and you don't need an attorney to file there. Just call the local JOP and give them the address. They will tell you if the shop is in their jurisdiction. If so, file there for your money back. You will have to pay court costs, but you will get those back at the end, along with your money, if you win.

Read more
Answered on 6/16/14, 9:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Louisiana