Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Louisiana

Forced to sell my house.

I lived with a lady who I donated 50% of my house to. She has sinced moved out and is taking me to court to force me to sell the house for no other reason than spite. I have made 3 reasonable monitary offers to buy out her half interest. One offer was for over half the equity I have in the house in which I agree she is entitled to. My Question is can a court of law force me to sell my house or put it up to for auction if I am will to give more than half of her equity. Side note, She stated in our first court case for division of property that she took that she did not wish to reside or have any dealings with the house

Asked on 3/05/98, 8:26 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lawrence (Larry) Hoffing New Orleans Law, LLC

Lady forcing me to sell my house

Did you have an attorney draft your donation? Does it give you the right of first refusal to buy her out? Has the house been appraised yet? It's possible the court can force the sale of the house, but you have the right to 50% of the proceeds. It would seem more reasonable that the judge would allow you to buy her part as it would be hard to find a buyer for only one half. You may also bid on the house at auction. I would need to see the paerwork and court documents to give you a more educated opinion. Did you have an attorney represent you the first time in court? If so, how come your not going back to them? I don't charge for an initial consultation.

Read more
Answered on 3/23/98, 12:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

    A PHP Error was encountered

    Severity: Warning

    Message: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()

    Filename: views/new_publicquestionview.php

    Line Number: 164

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Louisiana