Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Louisiana

My mom has passed and had no will. I would like to donate my portion of the house in Louisiana to my sister. A succession has already been opened for my mother in Louisiana. Do I need an attorney for this or can I do this on my own?

Asked on 4/22/16, 6:32 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Adam Lambert The Law Office of Adam S. Lambert

You can renounce the entire estate (you get nothing from Mom's estate at all), or you can accept the estate and then execute a quitclaim deed on the property at issue in favor of your sister. You should get a Louisiana attorney to discuss your options in detail and draft the document for you. Online forms are rarely good to use in Louisiana, due to the nature of our Civil Law system vs the Common Law in all the other states. Besides, it is worth it to get a specific opinion from an attorney who has ALL of the facts of your case in hand.

Read more
Answered on 5/13/16, 6:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Louisiana