Legal Question in Traffic Law in Louisiana

I was issued tickets in two parishes...Orleans and St. John the Baptist. I received tickets for no seat belt, no registration, and expired inspection sticker in Orleans in 2012. A month or so later, I received a ticket in St. John for speeding; I was cited for doing either 84 or 87 in a 70 mph some. My car broke, and I was a student at LSU, so I didn't have a way to leave Baton Rouge to go to court on the tickets. I ended up being charged with Failure to Appear in both parishes and my license held suspensions from both as well. Once I graduated in 2013, and moved back to New Orleans, I went to the courts. Both parishes reduced the tickets and waived contempt fees I was given 30 days to pay. I did not find a job, until recently, so I had no way to pay $200 to one court, $200 to the other, and $200 reinstatement fees to the dmv. However, now I'm able to pay the courts. I went to look up the tickets online, but there was no trace of them...I'm thinking maybe that's because my cases were closed out, though the payments still need to be made?

I'm wondering; however, should I just go to the courts to pay the fines and get reinstatement letters for the dmv, or should I hire an attorney? I don't know if an attorney can do too much at this point as far as the fees go, or can they? But that brings me to my second question. Can an attorney help with getting the suspensions expunged from my record. My next job WILL run a dmv check and suspensions will make me an ineligible candidate for employment. I would have to drive the company car, and I'm a pretty responsible driver. I'm not one to get tickets and get in accidents, I just made a bad decision rushing back to the city, and another when I didn't wear my seat belt.

Asked on 4/27/16, 11:08 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Adam Lambert The Law Office of Adam S. Lambert

Yes, an attorney can get the suspensions and the attachments recalled and get your license reinstated. You can also have the cases reset and still try them, rather than pleading guilty. However, you almost certainly will have to pay the fines for failing to appear.

Read more
Answered on 5/13/16, 6:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Louisiana