Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Louisiana

Adverse Possession Law Louisiana - The home I reside in belonged to my grandparents (my mother's parents). My grandfather died first, my mom was his second child, his first from a previous marriage. My grandmother died second leaving everything to my mom. My mom, dad and brother are all now deceased. I have resided in my grandparents home for more than 10 years. Now my grandfather's first child is demanding $22,000.00 to settle the ownership of the house. My grandfather died back in 1987. We cannot find the 1st page of his will to show that everything went to my grandmother. I am hoping that this law of adverse possession could help since we have put so much money into this house, paid the taxes on this house, made many repairs on this house after Hurricane Katrina and now have more repairs to complete from Hurricane Ida. Please advise.

Asked on 10/13/22, 7:29 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Maguire James G. Maguire, Attorney At Law

Adverse possession of real estate is a complex issue. You need to consult an attorney who deals with these matters.It can be a long and expensive process. At least for the time being, just ignore the demand for money. That person may or may not have an ownership interest in the property, but it would only be a partial interest. The enforce a claim, that person would have to go through a process that would also be long and expensive. Just keep doing what you are doing, and keep records of tax payments, repair records, etc.

Read more
Answered on 10/13/22, 7:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Louisiana