Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Maine

just received a lien notice from a debt collector. my wife and i were not notified of any collection award. can we ask the courts to re-examine this if there was a judgement? according to the clerk of courts there was due to no show. again, we didn't receive any notice.

Asked on 3/24/11, 12:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

scott logan Law Office of J. Scott Logan, LLC

You can file a Motion to lift default, but that will be difficult unless you can show you were not served with the original complaint and/or you did not receive the notice (it would have arrived via first class mail) of the hearing.

If you have to file a bankruptcy, you should still be able to avoid (cancel) the lien on your residence.

Read more
Answered on 3/24/11, 12:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Maine