Legal Question in Family Law in Maine


I was adopted in 2005 after being in the foster care system for a few years in the state of maine. Would I be losing any financial benefits if I were to be emancipated, having been involved in ''the system''?

Asked on 5/18/09, 11:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Carolyn Asquith The Law Office of Carolyn Asquith

Re: emancipation

I unfortunately do not know the answer to your question but can tell you how to get the information. You should contact the Department of Health and Human Services and ask for the adoption unit. Explain you have a question pertaining to benefits you receive as an adopted child and ask if they have any information pertaining to the difference of benefits should you be emancipated. I do know that some of the benefits will require that you remain in school. There are also some restrictions around who can be emancipated or not. You may want to look into the restrictions as well. I hope this information is helpful.

Read more
Answered on 5/18/09, 1:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maine