Legal Question in Family Law in Maine

my ex just mailed me a copy of a request for production of documents & notice to produce form after my son who is 17 and will be 18 in June but in school for another year and just decided to move in with his dad after being with me for the last 3 plus years. so now my ex wants me to pay child support among ALOT of other things but the kicker is he is demanding that I produce not only my income but my new husbands as well. he's asking for both of out last 3 yrs. of W-2, pay stubs, tax returns, vehicle registrations and lean holders, bank statements, copies of rental property as well as copies of the sale of my house. is this even legal? to top it off at the bottom of the form the date says march 17, 2018 not 2016? I have no problem paying and supporting my son but now his dead beat dad is coming after my new husbands income because its so much more than his. HELP PLEASE ASAP I am running out of time to file all this. what should I do? do I HAVE to produce this?

Asked on 3/25/16, 7:23 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Heidi Pushard Law Office of Heidi M. Pushard

Income documentation from individuals that are not parties to the case does not have to be produced as it relates to child support. You can get help with these questions through free projects at many courts.

In addition, the court will provide guidance on the issue of what needs to be produced as part of a discovery in a post-judgment action. The general rules regarding discovery can be found here:

Read more
Answered on 3/25/16, 6:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maine