Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Maine

Barter for rent

I own a small 5 unit rental property and would like to have someone live in one of the units and act as a handyman to take care of the rest of the place. Can I legally do this?

Asked on 7/06/09, 8:51 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Elliott Teel Teel Law Office

Re: Barter for rent

You can, but you should be careful how you do it. As with your other tenants you should have a standard lease, but then also a separate agreement as to services expected instead of rent. You need to ensure that you are getting enough value from his services, but not requiring too much work for the amount of rent. Having this in writing will ensure that you both are fully aware of the arrangement, and hopefully avoid problems later on.

I would recommend having an attorney draft or at least review the agreement.

Read more
Answered on 7/06/09, 11:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Maine