Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Maine

My boyfriend and I bought a house together, we have now broken up, he wants to be done. Can I take him off the deed and refinance with another co borrower.

Asked on 9/23/15, 3:59 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jerome Gamache Ainsworth Thelin & Raftice, P.A.

Yes, you can do this, but it will need to be done as part of the same transaction, because the existing mortgage needs to be paid off to release your ex., and that is his incentive to sign the deed over to you without also requiring you to compensate him.

Depending upon your lender, my office might be able to help you with the deed, title and closing. Feel free to reach out to my via our website if that is the case.

Thanks- Jerome

Read more
Answered on 9/23/15, 5:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Maine