Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Maine

I co-own unimproved property in state of Maine my partner has refused to pay their share of taxes 4 last 9 years if I sell property do they have any ownership rights can I sell property without their input

Asked on 2/22/18, 7:17 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Elliott Teel Teel Law Office

More information is needed to answer this question. Whose names are on the deed? If your partner's name is on it, then they will need to sign off on the sale. If they won't agree to a sale, you would need to go to court to have the property partitioned, or force a sale. The distribution of the proceeds from the sale should take into account the tax payments, as well as all other expenses in purchasing the property.

Read more
Answered on 2/22/18, 7:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Maine