Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Maine

I own half the house and my name is on deed.I paid my half of the house in full. My boyfriends financed his half. Can i make him sell the house to get my money back

Asked on 12/02/15, 2:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jerome Gamache Ainsworth Thelin & Raftice, P.A.

The answer is yes, you can ultimately force a sale through a legal action known as a "Partition". There is no real defense to it- if the property cannot be physically divided, and if one side cannot buy the other out, the Court will order a sale and decide the proper manner to divide the proceeds. Because the Court will require you to mediate the case first, it makes sense for the parties to informally try to settle a Partition matter through their lawyers first. My office has handled many Partition matters and are familiar with the process if you need additional assistance you can contact me outside this Q&A. Thanks- Jerome

Read more
Answered on 12/02/15, 2:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Maine