Legal Question in Immigration Law in Maryland

Travelling on I-94 CArd to Canada without valid Visa STamp

I have question regarding I-94 card. I have been here in USA for 5 years, I got my H1b in 2001 with Visa STamp, then in 2003 I got extension for three more years. I got my CAnadian Permanent Residency and I need to travel to Canada to get that. Question) I have expired Visa Stamp on my old passport but I got the extension I got new I-94 card attached to it and the I-792 valid till the end of this year. Can I travel on I-94 to Canada for two-three days and comeback to USA with expired Visa STamp or Do I have to get the stamp in Canada in any US Consulate? Thanks, Haider

Asked on 1/17/06, 4:31 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

A.P. Pishevar The Pishevar Law Firm, P.C.

Re: Travelling on I-94 CArd to Canada without valid Visa STamp

The I94 is your entry card. That makes you legal in the US. If your I94 says that your Visa was extended, then traveling likely would not be a problem, but we cant rally give you legal advice without a specific, detailed consultation and being hired. This is not legal advise. To be safe you should have a valid visa/re-entry permit before leaving the country. You can come in for a Consultation by going to

Sincerely, AP

Read more
Answered on 1/18/06, 11:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Maryland