Legal Question in Business Law in Maryland

I want to build a mobile food kitchen to feed the homeless. No money would be exchanged all free. What do I need to run the mobile unit legally?

Asked on 3/26/15, 8:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cedulie Laumann Arden Law Firm, LLC

First of all, the idea is commendable.

You'd need to contact the Health Department in the county/city where you'd be operating to verify the rules for such a food service. Generally speaking you'd need to fill out an application and get approval for the mobile unit. The health department has mobile food vendor licenses and certain requirements for sanitation, etc. that apply to any commercial kitchen, even if food is not being sold. For instance, a kitchen in a church or homeless shelter may need to meet certain safety standards even if none of the food is sold. What precise category such a food cart would fall under might vary from county to county.

Read more
Answered on 12/03/15, 2:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Maryland