Legal Question in Business Law in Maryland

I want to set up a personal chef business in Maryland.

What is the best business form to pick, sole proprietor, LLC...??

What kind of licences do I need?

Thanks a lot.

Asked on 7/08/17, 10:25 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cedulie Laumann Arden Law Firm, LLC

These are great questions to ask! The business type will depend on your specific circumstances but generally speaking small business owners often explore setting up a single member LLC to insulate from liability. An LLC can be structured to have the advantages of a corporation (liability insulation) but without some of the formalities and structure (for instance a LLC can be member-managed, avoiding the need for three tiers of stockholders, officers and directors).

Food service licenses vary from county to county. Most of the time professional food preparation requires a license from the health department where the kitchen is located and often also where the food is sold. You'd likely first want to consult the local laws to determine what category your proposed business will fall under in the area(s) where you'd be working.

Depending on the number of employees and product(s) sold, a food related business might also need employment accounts, traders licensure and sales/use tax accounts.

While I hope this general information helps it isn't offered as legal advice. Most businesses can benefit from sitting down with an attorney to discuss business plans and goals and the best way to structure for a particular situation.

Read more
Answered on 7/10/17, 8:32 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Maryland