Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Maryland

my friend lives with her step father, her mother moved out and her father lives in a different city. the high school she attended found out about how she doesnt live with her parents and they kicked her out. is it legal for her to still live with her step father and attend the high school?

Asked on 7/20/11, 10:54 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cedulie Laumann Arden Law Firm, LLC

Schools often want to see documentation of custody/guardianship. Usually an adult permanently taking care of a minor will want to either have custody of the child, to adopt the child or to be appointed as the child's guardian. Once appointed as guardian, the school would almost certainly allow the guardian to enroll the student in the guardian's school district. While not legal advice I hope this post helps.

Read more
Answered on 8/24/11, 6:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Maryland