Legal Question in Consumer Law in Maryland

Will I need to seek legal representation for a tax defense company that has literally scammed me out of $1,400.00 and has only offered $350.00 as a refund for doing absolutely nothing. To add, signing a release not to pursue other actions towards the officers, employees, etc. After dealing with them and following up with the IRS, nothing has been done on my behalf and as a result has only caused more follow-up and hardship on my end. I recently found out that this company or the owners were sued before for unfair practices but somehow with my initial research about the company there were no negative reviews found and/or I did not look hard enough. I do not want to settle with their offer, I want a total refund and/or very close to it. Nothing has been done on my behalf and this company (Tax Defense Network) needs to be exposed for who they are---scam artist.

Asked on 9/19/10, 6:14 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Phillip M. Cook Cook Legal Services, LLC

Is there a specific question or are you just ranting?

Exposing people for who they are in a court of law costs money in the form of attorney fees and expenses, court costs, court reporters, and expert witnesses. Are you prepared to shell out the money necessary to pay an attorney his/her time?

Best of luck.*******The above is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client privilege.*********

Read more
Answered on 9/25/10, 6:21 am
Carter Ferrington Bar Adon Vogel PLLC

Mr. Cook is, of course, correct about the costs of litigation likely exceeding your recovery.

Here are some no cost/low cost options to explore:

1. Contact the Better Business Bureau. If you're lucky, the group is a member, and is, therefore committed to mediation and arbitration. If they're not, they may settle with you to clear they're complaint file...Remember that many consumers check with the BBB before hiring companies like this. And at worst, people checking out this company with the BBB will discover outstanding complaints with this company and stay away.

2. A complaint to the State Attorney General's Office could also be helpful, particularly if other people have had similar experiences with this company. It also couldn't hurt to ask the AG's office if any state licenses are required for the services you sought, and whether or not such services might be regulated by a State agency.

And like Mr. Cook, I have provided this information for informational purposes only, with no desire or intent of creating an attorney-client relationship or privilege, and recommend that anyone in a similar situation consult with his or her own attorney before deciding which course of action, if any, to take.

Carter Phillip Ferrington, Esq.

Bar Adon & Vogel PLLC

Washington, DC 20009

Read more
Answered on 9/25/10, 9:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Maryland