Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Maryland

2 weeks ago my bank account was placed on hold due to a garnishment of property placed on my account for a debt i owe to another bank. i called the attorney's to speak to someone at the time but they weren't trying to help me then. 1 week ago i filed a motion to requesting a hearing, and exception because they took my weekly pay which provides for my family , only income at this time. today, i just received a call from attorney's office asking if we can workout a payment plan, and asked if i was granted a hearing or release of garnishment. i told him i am still waiting to hear from judge. he then offered to do a consent of disperse on my account, with them keeping a down pymt and then releasing the rest to me as long as both parties agree on payment plan. i am truly concerned! should i work something out w/them or wait to be heard from judge?

Asked on 9/07/12, 11:58 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lawrence Holzman Holzman Law Firm, LLC

You do have a right to have a certain amount of money exempted from execution in Maryland, but the bottom line is that eventually they're going to collect this money because it sounds as if they have a judgment. My guess is that you are going to need to consult with an attorney to go over: 1. your status on this debt; 2. your other financial circumstances; 3. your options.

Read more
Answered on 9/09/12, 6:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Maryland