Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Maryland

I received a wage garnishment letter a couple days ago for a default judgement that I was never served for. What lead up to this is I cosigned on a lease for my wife at the time well we was separated( I was living in another state PA) and ended up divorcing. Anyways I called the law firm that was representing the property management company and asked why was I not served they said it was a prior law firm that handled the case. Anyways the only record of service they have is they sent a certified letter to my address in PA but my wife/exwife never lived there. So what are my legal options. I live in Oklahoma now and the judgement was awarded in St Marys County Maryland. So I am assuming I need to get a lawyer there. I know cosigning makes you liable for the debt in the primary defaults so what are my options.

Asked on 12/15/16, 3:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Press Chung & Press, P.C.

If you were not served, you can move to vacate the judgment, but that may be a waste of effort unless you have actual defenses to the claim.

If you owe it, you can try to settle, or just pay it or let the garnishment continue, or if you can't afford to pay, you may want to consider bankruptcy.

Read more
Answered on 12/16/16, 3:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Maryland