Legal Question in Criminal Law in Maryland

My ex boyfriend use my address when he was arrested. He hasn't lived here in 2 years. The obtain a warrant & searched my home. They found a little marijuana but it was not in relation to him. The police did not arrest me but can they do so at a later date? If so, how many days do they have to charge me? I live in PG County.

Asked on 8/22/13, 2:08 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

William Welch William L. Welch, III Attorney

Anyone might be charged with a crime, regardless of whether he or she has in fact broken the law. There is no statute of limitations for an offense that carries more than a year imprisonment. Whether the state is barred from charging you depends on what the state charges. You might also challenge whether the warrant was valid. An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

Read more
Answered on 8/22/13, 2:29 pm

Jason Cleckner Law Office of Jason Cleckner, LLC

They really have a year to charge you, but if they're going to do it, it will rarely take that long. They COULD get a warrant for you, but that's extremely unlikely. If you were to get charged, 99% of the time it would come as a summons, meaning you'd get served with papers to appear in Court.

Read more
Answered on 8/24/13, 7:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Maryland