Legal Question in Criminal Law in Maryland

My boyfriend, and unfortunately I am pregnant with his child, is incarcerated for burglary 4th degree and theft less than 1000. His trial is coming up in a month. I am subpoenaed to testify against him. Is it appropriate to get a public defender for myself? Am I able to speak with his public defender? I am a really nervous person, especially in front of a lot of professionals. I don't know much about the case. I have my story of what happened and that's all. I would like to also know what happens from beginning to end, in a case like this. Also I am not really familiar with court terms and words used by professional people :) so I may need a little help!!! Thank you for your time!

Asked on 7/23/13, 10:23 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

William Welch William L. Welch, III Attorney

You should consult with an attorney, in case you have a privilege that would permit to from testify. If you cannot afford to retain an attorney privately, then you should apply to the office of the Public defender for an appointed one.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/13, 10:26 am

Jason Cleckner Law Office of Jason Cleckner, LLC

The public defender isn't going to give you an attorney, you aren't facing any time. And they may or may not speak with you. You'll find private counsel to be much more available and willing to help.

Read more
Answered on 7/24/13, 12:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Maryland