Legal Question in Criminal Law in Maryland

destruction of property

How soon after filing charges for destruction of property should the complaintant get a written estimate of repair costs?

Asked on 9/06/05, 8:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

G. Joseph Holthaus III Law Offices of G. Joseph Holthaus

Re: destruction of property

The person who destroyed property can be subjected to two processes. The first is the criminal charge of destruction of property. I assume this has been filed. The second is a civil complaint for recovery.

Each complaint has different standards and evidence. The processes also differ within the civil and criminal courts.

A bill of damages may need to be prepared and this may become part of the civil complaint. This may also become part of the criminal process should the State press forward with charges.

Each process is independent of the other and a ruling in one matter may have a bearing upon the other. As with all legal matters you should contact an attorney. I am available to assist you.

Read more
Answered on 9/06/05, 10:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Maryland