Legal Question in Criminal Law in Maryland

My son is being charged with 1st and 4th degree burglery and possesion of prescription pills.He was supposed to have a prelimenary hearing but it was cancelled because they said he was indicted on the chargesHe is currently in balto.Co detention center being held on $35000 bail.He was taking drugs and drinking.He is 18 years old and this is his first offense.He has been in jail for about a month and seems to regret everything.He has known the people whose home he went into and gave back eveything he took.I'm not defending his actions.He is a stupid kid who made a stupid mistake with some of his friends in which he found out after the fact they really aren't his friends and he is the only one that got caught.I have very little money because the economy crushed me in the past few years as it has alot of people.I know there are alot of senerios of the outcome of this matter but i can'tseem to get a straight answer from anyone about what to expect without first paying out a large sum of money in which i don't have.Can someone tell me something?

Asked on 5/25/11, 2:37 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

joseph owens OwensLaw

Please feel free to call me.

Joseph Owens, MS; JD; LLM

410 246 2152

Read more
Answered on 5/25/11, 2:47 pm
William Welch William L. Welch, III Attorney

The Circuit Court will schedule an initial appearance, the date of which you can find on Maryland CaseSearch at . Either he will be informed of his right to counsel at the hearing, or if counsel has entered his or her appearance before then, the hearing will be cancelled. Then, the matter will be scheduled for trial. He can review the state's evidence called discovery with his lawyer, negotiate a plea or prepare for trial. Regardless, he should have a drug and alcohol evaluation in the meantime.

No judge will simply turn him loose just because he is a first time offender. The court will be concerned that without treatment he will at least harm himself, if not someone else.

Given the current financial situation, he should immediately apply to the Office of the Public Defender. If the financial situation improves, and you retain counsel for him, OPD will happily step aside.

Read more
Answered on 5/25/11, 2:48 pm

No one can predict the outcome, or give you a reasonable guess, without first going over all the details of the event and speaking with your son. Most lawyers, including myself, will give you a free initial consultation. Talk to a lawyer, get an assessment of the situation, and a quote. There is no obligation, so why not do it.

If it turns out you can't afford an attorney, then at least get a public defender. Your son should not go to any court hearing without a lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 5/25/11, 6:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Maryland