Legal Question in Criminal Law in Maryland

My son was sentenced to 18 months for a first time technical VOP on Friday. Everyone that I have talked to has said the sentence is completely unjust considering it was a technical violation and he has no record prior to his 2nd degree assault from over a year ago and no criminal history since the probation was ordered. My issue is I can't find any resources regarding appeals, reviews, etc. for a VOP sentence. Are there any? Do we have any options to have the sentence reviewed besides the request for modification of sentence (which will only be reviewed by the original judge)? I searched other cases like this and the sentences were reinstatement of probation, home detention, etc. I haven't been able to find anything this severe.

Asked on 3/27/17, 11:09 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

William Welch William L. Welch, III Attorney

Unfortunately, judges have a lot of discretion in sentencing. Modification is probably the best option.

Read more
Answered on 4/01/17, 2:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Maryland