Legal Question in Criminal Law in Maryland

Trespass/County Park/After Dark

19 year old son given ticket $500 and/or 90 days jail for trespassing at Prince Georges', Maryland, Park (Capitol Park Police). Should we hire an attorney or take a chance pro se?

Asked on 5/27/01, 9:58 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Lease Smith, Lease & Goldstein, LLC

Re: Trespass/County Park/After Dark

Since the offense charged carries a potential jail sentence, I would recommend obtaining counsel. If your son cannot afford private counsel, he should apply to the public defender's office.

An attorney may be able to develop a defense the charge or provide mitigating evidence to the court.

If your son is found guilty, his sentence will depend upon the particular facts of his case and the trial judge's view of those facts. An attorney would be helpful in presenting those facts in a light most favorable to your Son.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 6/26/01, 1:01 pm

Re: Trespass/County Park/After Dark

Whenever you are facing a jail term, you should not go to Court without an attorney. A criminal trial attorney can be a great benefit.

Read more
Answered on 6/26/01, 3:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Maryland