Legal Question in Criminal Law in Maryland

Did I do wrong by telling an officer I did a crime just to get HIM out of my house?

Asked on 2/10/13, 7:36 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jason Cleckner Law Office of Jason Cleckner, LLC

You admitted to a crime to get an officer to leave? What crime? Why weren't you arrested?

Read more
Answered on 2/11/13, 5:18 am
William Welch William L. Welch, III Attorney

You have generated evidence that tends to make you seem guilty of something, and you have provided it to your potential opponent, the state. If you are charged, the state will be able to use your own admission against you. It doesn't mean that you would not have the opportunity to explain why you said those words, but the state could argue that people don't admit to doing things that they haven't done. Perhaps the state might also have other evidence that a crime was committed, and that it was committed by you. All of this evidence might be presented to a jury together.

An attorney can assist you with evaluating the states case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, in helping you decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be convicted, an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and request for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Online posts are not confidential. Beware that if somehow the state were to find your post, it might use that in evidence against you too.

Read more
Answered on 2/11/13, 7:09 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Maryland